Diporto Velico Veneziano
The story of DVV begins in March 1950, when a group of sailing enthusiasts set up a partnership called Diporto Velico Veneziano with the aim of promoting pleasure sailing and organizing cruises and sailing regattas. The first establishment, on a precarious municipal concession, took place in Sant’Elena, in part of a warehouse already in use by the Celli Shipyard and on an adjoining bank of 6.250 square meters. The impressive work of excavating the sandbank created a dock that gradually became populated with sailboats, small cruisers, snipes and dinghies.
1953 marked the beginning of the water settlement; that was in fact the state water concession, in addition to the further municipal concession of a warehouse under the stadium grandstand.
In the same year, the first 25-meter long gangway was built with considerable sacrifices. The gangway was very narrow but the boats were already numerous and the sporting spirit prevailed over the lack of structures.
1962 marked the beginning of a further enlargement of the moorings with the laying of catenaries and buoys, new water concessions were obtained, the wooden poles of the gangways were replaced with concrete ones: the result was a marina with the 150 most easily accessible moorings of the upper Adriatic. In the meantime, the first shipbuilding equipment for members’ drift boats was taken on, without neglecting sporting and competitive activities.
In 1968, the construction of the new storage warehouse began, while new walkways were introduced in 1969 and the “Sailing School” in collaboration with the Venice Island Foundation was launched.
Everything was going very well thanks to the passionate activity of the Executive Councils that followed one another and to the collaboration of the partners, when a terrible event struck the island of Sant’Elena in September 1970: a devastating tornado that reduced the DVV structures built with so much effort, to rubble.
1971-1972-1973-1974 are years of intense work to reconstruct what had been destroyed by this natural event. The Directors’ executive meetings succeeded one another with great enthusiasm. The site was rebuilt bigger than before, the walls of the warehouse and the fence were rebuilt, the roof was covered, a pier was built for docking and it was equipped with a small crane.
Since its creation, the “Porticciolo E. De Zottis,” the port which covers the southern part of the great trapezoidal basin of Sant’Elena with its facilities, despite the favourable location from which the sea can be reached in a short time, had the great handicap of a shared entry. This state of things, understandable in the first years of its life, later on came to deprive the marina of independence as well as security. Thus, came the need for an exclusive entrance.
The projects to achieve this goal followed one another, and starting from 1999 the renewal and reorganization process began, in 2000 this gave DVV a structure that will hopefully be the definite one both in water and on land. Thanks to the necessary permits, which were finally obtained, the goal of closing the dock was reached. This took place using mobile platforms between the Nord 2 gangway and the Diga gangway. As part of this radical reorganization, the projects for rebuilding the paving and new restrooms were also completed.
Become a sponsor
of the Venice
Boat Show 2021